• Welcome to BadController Forum
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

PS3 Review: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
MY GAME REVIEW

Game: Assassin?s Creed 4: Black Flag

Age Rating: 18+

Genre: Stabbing People, hacking computers and playing alongside pirates like
Blackbeard and Charles Vane..............Go figure.

Played on: Playstation 3

Publisher and Developer: Ubisoft

Game Director: Ashraf Isamil

Lead story writer: Darby Mcdevitt
( These guy?s names are mentioned cos they sure as hell deserve it )

Before people started complaining about the previous Assassin?s Creed instalment (AC3), let me just tell you, Ubisoft has been listening; listening very intently to its fans. Now, AC4 may have some flaws of its own but you will be glad that most of the things that we hated in AC3 were taken care of; most not all though.

OUTLOOK
AC4 takes place during the golden age of piracy ( where you play as Edward Kenway, a privateer turned pirate) in the Caribbean ocean with Kingston, Havana, Nassau and 70 other locations and islands with exotic, thick and lush forests that look breathtakingly beautiful. I think it would be apt to say that the team put in an extraordinary amount of effort to create these surroundings. The forests look beautiful. Not only graphically but also abstractly; like you could jus climb a tall old Mayan building and jus look over the forest, gazing out to the Caribbean ocean, watching the sun set. Poetically beautiful. Now, when AC3 had come out many people weren?t actually happy with the frontier ( forest ); there was one games journalist who described the frontier as having ?too many right angles?. But its good to see that the team have nailed the forest surroundings; they look soo perfect; naturally organic and breathtakingly beautiful.

GAMEPLAY
Coming to the gameplay mechanics, the naval part was a huge addition. I mean, this game is a boon to all those people who were dying for a real pirate game. The map is huge. HUGE. It would take you an approx of 45min to sail from one end of the map to the other. And its not a boring voyage either. The Caribbean ocean is completely filled with islands to discover, whales and sharks to hunt, storms to pilot through, forts to take down and ships to plunder. Never before have i seen such a beautiful open ocean or such a scary storm in a game. And the best part is there are no loading screens anywhere ( except for the three cities, that is ). You can seamlessly jump off your ship, or board another ship without any cut scenes. There are always ships around that you can plunder or sometimes you need to plunder to obtain the cargo required to upgrade your ship, The Jackdaw. The Caribbean ocean in this game is a seductive mistress always pulling you towards her with new things to offer every time. I just wish that the wife, the storyline that is, was just as seductive. The plot is great but it jus doesn?t attract you too much. Anyways this is a spoiler free game review so i will leave it at that.

All this talk about the Caribbean ocean, doesn?t mean that the cities aren?t good. They are as interactive as cities in the AC series ever were. And all those who were disappointed by the architecture in AC3, well, the buildings in these are great and have a nostalgic touch to them, taking you back to rome for a moment where you running around rooftops as Ezio.

The combat system hasn?t changed much. The combat is a bit more difficult than it was in AC3 but its much the same to the veterans.
The hunting system has improved though. Taking inspiration from Far Cry 3 (another ubisoft game) , the hunting system is linked to your health and armour upgrades so the game almost forces you to hunt to make yourselves better. And its not boring either

STORYLINE (NO SPOILERS)
As said earlier, the story was good but could have been better. Personally, i liked it a lot. And the games does a perfect job of helping you connect not only with Edward but also with the other pirates like Blackbeard, Anne bonny, Mary Read etc. My advice, don?t go googling this pirates before you play the game; it feels wonderful to discover their lives and ideologies while playing the game. To wrap this up without any spoilers, lets just say that never before have i felt such strong emotions for a pirate.

REAL LIFE
It seems, that for the first time, Ubisoft seemed to have nailed the real life sequences; FINALLY!!! We play as ourselves, a memory researcher who is hired to by Abstergo to research Edward kenway?s memories so that they can have some amazing footage to make it into a commercial videogame. The abstergo offices are immersely interactive( with a few surprises ); the offices are filled with computers to hack and secrets to unravel. And the best thing; these are optional. Good job, Ubisoft.

CONS
? Unfortunately, the eavesdropping missions are back which are annoying. Like really fucking annoying. GET RID OF THEM, UBISOFT!!!
? The storyline is slow at the start and and at many parts in between.
? The storyline, though perfectly captures the essence of piracy, fails to actually stay true to its assassin roots.

FINAL VERDICT
This game offers you a solid interactive entertainment of 20 hrs on the main story line. An additional 40 hrs for the side activities. Although, not all missions are great, this game has so much stuff to do, you will be happy sailing for a long long time. Assassin?s Creed 4: Black Flag might have some flaws but it truly embraces the actual essence of sand box gaming.
So polish our cutlasses and clean you guns, lads cos this game is gonna give you one hell of a pirate voyage. YARRR!!!

My score: 9/10

P.S thank you for spending your time reading this review. Your feedback is very important to me, so plz comment your thoughts on this game and its review below. Thank you, once again.
Game on. Game hard.

A very well written review.  :thumbsup: I was a big fan of AC series. I hated AC3 and swore never to buy another AC game for full price. Looks like I should give this one a try.

You missed out on the multiplayer part. You should add that if possible.

[Image: murderdoll82.png]

Yes, even I was highly disappointed with AC3..The main character was so stuck up and boring :/ and old! aging ezio was still awesome, but this guy .. badd.
Looks like I shall also give AC4 a try !

p.s- star out the cursing, the whole review is professional and nicely written, but the curse word, while conveying your frustration well, seems a bit off!
!?!

After playing AC3, I was like "y I played this game!!!" U know what, after reading your review I'm tempted to play this game. Been a franchise lover from AC. AC3 was disappointing!! Very well written bro!!! Keep it up!!! :thumbsup:
[Image: srivas_316.png]

its a awesome game
[Image: paleillusionist.gif]

BF4 | FIFA | Destiny | Skyrim | Hate EA | <3 Square Enix - Bethesda | Football Mad | Real Madrid | Sherlock

(13-11-2013, 02:54 PM)Rainmaker link Wrote: Yes, even I was highly disappointed with AC3..The main character was so stuck up and boring :/ and old! aging ezio was still awesome, but this guy .. badd.
Looks like I shall also give AC4 a try !

p.s- star out the cursing, the whole review is professional and nicely written, but the curse word, while conveying your frustration well, seems a bit off!

Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. Thank you very much.
Game on. Game hard.

(13-11-2013, 01:47 PM)murderdoll link Wrote: A very well written review.  :thumbsup: I was a big fan of AC series. I hated AC3 and swore never to buy another AC game for full price. Looks like I should give this one a try.

You missed out on the multiplayer part. You should add that if possible.

Unfortunately, i suck at multiplayer games. Like i am really really bad at them so i couldnt do a review on them. But i heard around that it was great. By the way, thanks a lot!!!
Game on. Game hard.

(16-11-2013, 08:44 PM)n4r4simh4 link Wrote: After playing AC3, I was like \"y I played this game!!!\" U know what, after reading your review I'm tempted to play this game. Been a franchise lover from AC. AC3 was disappointing!! Very well written bro!!! Keep it up!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much.  Smile
Game on. Game hard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Watch Dogs, My Review (PS3) sai.charan.9256 6 4,627 10-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Last Post: sai.charan.9256
  BEYOND: TWO SOULS (PS3) My Review sai.charan.9256 4 3,137 19-05-2014, 11:45 PM
  The Last of Us (PS3) Review Karman121 5 4,206 06-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Last Post: murderdoll
  CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS ( SINGLE PLAYER, PS3 ) My Review sai.charan.9256 4 3,357 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM
  THE LAST OF US(PS3): MY REVIEW sai.charan.9256 3 2,678 26-01-2014, 03:07 AM